About Me

My photo
I am a Sasha`s Mommy. I have adopted an angel. She is a precious gift and will grow up as my own.

Friday 4 March 2011

Orientation - Friday 18 February 2011

The orientation was at Cape Town Child Welfare. There are 2 social workers who handle adoptions. The orientation was run by one of them. She basically gave us a little background about the process, costs (on a sliding scale according to your salary) and expectations. At the end of the session she gave us a comprehensive application form to fill in and medical requirements which included an HIV test. I felt that it was very professionally run and informative. She told us that last year 35 babies were adopted/placed in the Western Cape . . . That is 3 a month. And she said there are 20 couples/people on `the list` at the moment. She also explained that they do not go in the order of `the list` but try and find the best match. They are bound by strict South African laws with regards to placing a child. But my mathematical mind went into action. If I could be number 21 on the list . . . 3 babies a month . . . That would mean I could get a baby in September . . . . but she reiterated that one just never knows. I left the orientation with one mission . . . To fill in the application form and return it as soon as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment