About Me

My photo
I am a Sasha`s Mommy. I have adopted an angel. She is a precious gift and will grow up as my own.

Friday 4 March 2011

Application to adopt a child . . .

The application form is very comprehensive. Child Welfare are doing a fabulous job in making sure that these children go to suitable homes. They need to make sure that the child`s physical, social and emotional needs can be met. I had quite a giggle filling in the form. They wanted my parents and siblings every detail from hair colour (my Dad has hardly any hair) to their education right down to their shoe size (joking). I had to fill in details about my income, expenses and assets with proof attached. Which Medical Aid? Which Pension Fund? I had to search in my files and refresh my memory as to the values of my life insurances and endowment policies. They wanted to know details of where I lived and how many rooms I had. There are pages of personal information about hobbies, sports, social clubs, smoking, drinking, have you ever had counselling, ever been on anti-depressants, been charged with a criminal offence. Lastly I needed to put 4 references down: two family members, two non-family members. Attached to the application form I needed the following documantation: Certified copy of ID, A clear photogragh, most recent salary slip, police clearance, a comprehensive medical certificate and HIV and VDRL serology results. My goal was to deliver this completed form to Child Welfare ASAP. On the 19th February I went for my blood tests. That was rather comical . . . because when I asked for the HIV and VDRL serology test the woman didnt know what that was. How can you not know what HIV test is? On 21st of February I applied for police clearance at Kirstenhof Police Station (Apparently that takes 6 weeks to arrive) On 22nd of February I went for my blood test results and a full medical check-up with my doctor. My blood HIV and VDRL serology tests were negative :-) My doctor declared me physically and psychologically fit to adopt a baby :-) Armed with everything but my police clearance ( That can come later) I hand delivered my adoption application to Cape Town Child Welfare on Wednesday 23rd February 2011 :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment